The original name of this building was "Castellina" as we can see by the inscription from 1794 on the central window of the facade and which was commissioned by the then owner Filippo Destephanis following its full renovation. The name "Castaldina" is linked instead to the "castaldi" who were administrators of the Cantelmo family estates.
The building has a large arched gateway, surmounted by the crest of the Cantelmo family, which leads into a courtyard where at one time the refreshments were served. Upstairs, accessed by a staircase, are the other rooms which were used as accommodation.
Currently the building is a private residence and a restaurant.
The building, which has preserved its original structure especially on the outside, has two separate entrances on parallel paths: Via Sant'Antonio and Via Roma below.
The facade on this road is complete with two angular pilasters with Ionic capitals and two superimposed orders of four windows which are set with the Croce family crest.
The elevation on Via Sant'Antonio consists...
The double name is motivated by the fact that the building is divided into two units, the Del Prete family own the part facing the castle while the Nola family owns the remaining section on Via Marconi.
The building should however be identified with the name of the Croce family who in the 16th century regrouped some existing buildings and whose emblem of a cross is shown on the key stone of...
The building consists of three sections joined in a "U" shape, with the open side towards the valley of Gizio and overlooking the beautiful courtyard. It is here where the stone fountain from the first half of the 17th century, built by Fabrizio II Cantelmo - according to the inscription on the square base - stands. The elevation of the main facade is mostly occupied by two stairways...
The mansion was built in the 18th century however from the original structure only the balconies with their railings and the main door remain. The door is carved with a coat of arms, depicting a horse and a cross, with the initials of Gaetano Giuliani, the founder, and the date of 1774 in Roman numerals.
Inside the house the original stone staircase has been preserved.
The palace, built in the 18th century, was owned by Pasquale Gravina (1779-1828), a physician, known for his research on botany, to whom a plant that carries the scientific name of Brassica Gravinae was also dedicated.
The original structures, on which the mansion was built, are still preserved in the cellars.
Upstairs there is a mullioned window of note.